Carter made the announcement on Tuesday morning via his Facebook page.
"Excited to share with you guys about a project I've been working on over the past 12 months. A film will be coming out which gives a deep insight into my personal life, my career and particularly my challenging road to the 2015 Rugby World Cup," his post said.
"It will be in cinemas in New Zealand on August 29 and I'll be sure to share the details for my international friends soon! Official title and trailer to come."
The film was shot in Europe, Japan and New Zealand and it opens the door to Carter's private life, including interviews with his wife, former Black Sticks player Honor Carter, and international rugby stars like Richie McCaw, Jonny Wilkinson and Beauden Barrett.
Carter said the "intimate" film, which was produced by Pitch Productions, would also expose the physical and mental torment he endured to be ready for his final outing for the All Blacks, the 2015 World Cup in the UK.
"It's definitely more of myself than I've been comfortable giving in the past," Carter said in a statement.
"I've been incredibly lucky in my life with the opportunities I've been given, but I've also had some dark times along the way.
"I hope audiences take away from the film that you can reach your goals no matter where you come from and what you come up against."
An official title and trailer will be announced in the coming weeks before the film's nationwide release on Thursday, August 29.
Music for the film was composed by Nick McCabe, formerly of English rock band The Verve.
Carter, 37, last week booted his neck brace into touch after he recently underwent surgery to mend a cervical spine problem.
The former All Blacks first five-eighth had spent seven weeks wearing the brace to heal his neck after the injury was discovered when he failed a medical with his former French club, Racing 92, in March.
When accepting his ONZM for services to rugby at Government House in Auckland last month, Carter didn't rule out continuing on past his next season in Japan with the Kobelco Steelers, though his initial thought was it could be time to hang up his boots.
"My focus now is rehabbing my neck not only to play but for later in life. I want to be able to play with my kids," Carter said.
"I'll see how I enjoy Japan again. It's a big long break, I might have a bit more juice in my legs and play for a couple more years. I just don't want to make those decisions just yet."
Carter retired from international duty after winning the last World Cup with the All Blacks in England in 2015.
He signed for Racing 92 on a medical joker deal in mid-February as a replacement for South African first-five Pat Lambie, who was forced to retire due to concussions, but he failed a medical and needed surgery in April.
With the All Blacks facing a tricky first-five scenario following the long-term injury to utility Damian McKenzie, Carter's name was mentioned in May by his old coach Sir Graham Henry as a possible solution.
However, the former Crusaders playmaker laughed off suggestions he could appear at another World Cup in Japan later this year.
Carter played 112 tests for the All Blacks from 2003-15 and finished his international career as rugby's leading points scorer in tests on 1598.
He suffered a groin injury in training during the group stages of the 2011 World Cup and was ruled out for the rest of the tournament, which the All Blacks won after beating France 8-7 in the decider at Eden Park, but he would bounce back from that personal disappointment to inspire the All Blacks to their 2015 final triumph over Australia (34-17) at Twickenham.