Coronavirus

Two new cases of Covid-19 in managed isolation facilities - Bloomfield

Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield said there are still no cases reported from the community.

Both cases have been in managed isolation since they arrived and are now in the quarantine facility in Auckland, Dr Bloomfield said.

One is a man in his 50s who arrived in NZ from India on 24 June - his result came from day 3 testing.

The second is a woman in her 20s who arrived from the US on 18 June, the wife of a previous case who tested positive on 22 June and was already in quarantine as she was considered a close contact.

Covid-19 infections top 10m worldwide

The virus, which emerged in China late last year and spread across the globe, has led to almost 500,000 deaths.

Half the world's cases have been in the US and Europe, but Covid-19 is now rapidly growing in the Americas.

The virus is also affecting South Asia and Africa, where it is not expected to peak until the end of July.

Outbreaks are still spreading in many parts of the world, with 1 million new cases recorded in the last six days.

The US has reported a total of 2.5 million cases and 125,000 deaths with Covid-19 so far - more than any other country.

Four new cases of Covid-19 in NZ in managed isolation

There are now 20 active cases in this country, none of them are in the community. The total number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in New Zealand is now 1176.

The first new case is a woman in her 30s who arrived in New Zealand from India on 14 June. The Health Ministry said she is the wife of a previous case who earlier tested positive and had been isolating separately from her husband since his positive test. She tested positive on day 11 of isolation.

Covid-19 cases in India cross 500,000 as big cities reel from surge

India has the world's fourth-biggest outbreak of the Covid-19 coronavirus, after only US, Brazil and Russia in confirmed infections, according to a Reuters tally.

Infections are expected to continue rising steadily in India. Experts advising the federal government say the authorities should now prioritise reducing mortality over containing the spread of the virus.

Coronavirus: Three new COVID-19 cases in New Zealand

The latest infections bring New Zealand's confirmed case total to 1169. There are 13 active infections in the country. No cases of community transmission have been detected.

A record number of tests were processed on Wednesday - 10,436 - bringing the overall test total to 368,432.

One new COVID-19 case in New Zealand

The latest infection brings New Zealand's active case total to 11.

The new case is a woman in her 60s, who returned a positive test result while in managed isolation. She arrived in New Zealand on June 18 and travelled on an Air India repatriation flight, code AI1316. She had been staying at the Pullman Hotel in Auckland and was transferred to the Jet Park Hotel - which is operating as a quarantine facility - as per Ministry of Health protocol on Tuesday afternoon.  

Novak Djokovic tests positive for Covid-19

Two more Trump campaign staff members test positive

The campaign said on Saturday hours before the rally, Trump's first since March, that six members of the campaign's advance staff had tested positive.

"After another round of testing for campaign staff in Tulsa, two additional members of the advance team tested positive for the coronavirus," spokesperson Tim Murtaugh said.

"These staff members attended the rally but were wearing masks during the entire event."

Brazil becomes second country to pass 50,000 deaths

The grim milestone comes amid growing political unrest and days after the country confirmed more than one million coronavirus infections.

Experts warn that the peak of the outbreak in Brazil is still weeks away.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has recorded the biggest one-day increase in cases, with the Americas responsible for most of the new infections.

Of the 183,000 new cases reported in 24 hours, more than 60% were from North and South America, the agency said.

27 neighbourhoods not allowed to leave as spike continues

 The city reported another 31 cases on Wednesday, bringing the total to 137 in the past week.

Before the recent spike, the Chinese capital had gone 57 days without a locally-transmitted case.

The outbreak is believed to have started in the massive Xinfandi food market that supplies 80% of the city's meat and vegetables.

At least 27 neighbourhoods have been classed as medium risk and one neighbourhood, near the market, is high risk.

People in medium or high-risk areas cannot leave the city. People in low-risk areas can leave, but need to test negative first.