The government pulled out of their hosting agreement last year, citing financial difficulties.
The Supreme Court has issued a Summons of Writ which the government has 28 days from issuance, (May 15), to answer.
The Games Council CEO Andrew Minogue said the body was seeking damages for the losses that it suffered as a result of the unilateral decision to withdraw without consultation.
TASANOC is seeking the same.
Mr Minogue said the claim was for three parts of the damages that were being sought as far as the council was concerned.