Manase Fainu

Fainu court case delayed until May 13

The Manly Sea Eagles hooker was charged with three offences after allegedly stabbing a man during a brawl at a Mormon church function in late October last year.

Fainu, 21, pleaded not guilty to a number of charges including wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, recklessly causing grievous bodily harm in company and affray.

Kaniva News reports the most serious charge – intent to cause grievous bodily harm – carries a maximum sentence of 25 years

Tonga star Manase Fainu who's accused of almost killing a man, excused from Sydney court appearance

Fainu, who has pleaded not guilty to several charges, was excused from Liverpool Local Court today when his matter was briefly mentioned.

The 21-year-old hooker recently had surgery, his lawyer Najee Makhoul told the court before handing up a medical certificate.

The court was told almost the entire brief of evidence had been provided to Mr Makhoul. The remainder is due before February 3 when the matter returns to court.

Fainu released from custody over stabbing charges

Fainu has spent the past two weeks in Parklea Correctional Centre after allegedly stabbing a 24-year-old man in the back in Wattle Grove last month.

The Sea Eagles No.9 has denied the three charges levelled by police: wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, affray, and recklessly causing grievous bodily harm in company.

Given the severity of charges against him, Fainu remains stood down from playing duties under the NRL's no-fault stand down rule until his case is finalised in court.

Manase Fainu charged after knife attack

Fainu was charged on Tuesday after handing himself in at Liverpool Police Station and was denied bail over the incident. He is due to face court on Tuesday afternoon.

The 21-year-old Sea Eagles hooker was charged with "wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, affray and recklessly cause grievous bodily harm in company," according to a NSW Police Media statement on Tuesday.

In their statement, NSW Police Media added: "Police will allege in court that the man was involved in an altercation when he produced a knife and stabbed another man."

Kiwis lose another player to Tonga with Manly's Manase Fainu spurning New Zealand approach

The 20-year-old - who made his NRL debut in 20187 - spurned an approach from Kiwis coach Michael Maguire and confirmed his allegiance to Tonga, NRL.com reported.

Fainu follows a pathway created by four players - Jason Taumalolo, David Fusitu'a, Sio Siua Taukeiaho and Manu Ma'u - who defected from the Kiwis for Tonga on the eve of the 2017 Rugby World Cup tournament.

Manly prop Addin Fonua-Blake, who played for the Kiwis at the World Cup, switched to Tonga in 2018.

Fonua-Blake helped convince Sydney-born Fainu, who has Māori and Tongan heritage, to commit to Tonga.

Fainu facing international eligibility decision

Born in Sydney, Fainu's rapid rise through the NRL ranks has landed him at the forefront of discussions for both Tonga and the Kiwis.

Another spanner was thrown into the works when the 20-year-old met with NSW Blues coach Brad Fittler and declared an interest in playing State of Origin for the Blues.

Fainu spent time with the Tongan squad ahead of the Pacific Test in June last season after representing the Junior Kiwis in 2017 on account of his mother's heritage.

He was selected for a Junior Kiwis' squad in 2018 but did not play.