NRL

Delayed NRL season set to affect 2021 World Cup

RLWC2021 CEO Jon Dutton confirmed during an international teleconference with journalists that the dates and venues for matches had been finalised but plans to announce ticketing details have been delayed due to uncertainty over the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Dutton said he was still confident of meeting the stated goal of selling 750,000 tickets for the men’s, women’s and wheelchair World Cup events but prices may be revised as the economic downturn caused by the global health crisis is expected to leave fans with less money to spend.

Hodgson on NRL pay

The NRL announced on Monday it was suspending its 2020 season until further notice amid the COVID-19 crisis, which has killed at least 21,200 people worldwide.

The financial impact is set to hit NRL clubs hard, like many sports and leagues around the world, and Englishman Hodgson is unsure what the future holds.

"There is a potential we may not get anything," Hodgson said.

"We only finished playing last week. To say we might not even get paid in two weeks is a weird one.

"I think we are guaranteed one pay but after that I am not sure."

NRL wants all 16 clubs to survive

The NRL announced on Monday it was suspending its season until further notice due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Like many sports and leagues around the world, the financial impact is set to be felt by the NRL and its clubs, but Greenberg is keen to ensure none fold.

"That's been the commission's view from start to finish is that no-one gets left behind and we've got to make sure that we have an ability to help all 16 stay afloat for the premiership and for the long-term and that's really important," he told Fox Sports on Thursday.

IRL sees Tonga NRL expulsion as new opportunity

The IRL confirmed the TNRL had been kicked out of the world body after a special general meeting last week backed an earlier board decision by nine votes to five.

Only full members of the world governing body could vote.

RNZ Pacific understands Fiji, Samoa and the Cook Islands voted against the move to expel the TNRL.

The IRL only needed 25 percent of the vote to support the board's resolution.

Canberra too strong for Warriors

Just days after committing to playing their games in Australia, the Warriors were unable to fire on attack as the green machine scored four tries to one.

Canberra led 6-0 at half time.

The Warriors were headed towards becoming the first team in 100 years of rugby league to go scoreless in their first two games of a season until a penalty try in the 75th minute ensured they would put points on the scoreboard for the first time this year.

Warriors to stay in Australia

The club's chief executive Cameron George announced this morning that captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and his team have reaffirmed their commitment to stay in Australia and continue in the 2020 competition in the face of the coronavirus pandemic.

The Warriors players met last night and voted to remain.

The team has spent this week in camp in Kingscliff in northern New South Wales ahead of their second-round game against the Canberra Raiders on the Gold Coast tomorrow night.

Tigers and Storm claim NRL wins

The hosts made a flying start when Mikaele Ravalawa was awarded a penalty try in the second minute – Corey Thompson shoving the Fijian to the floor as he was about to ground an in-goal kick at the end of a 70-metre run.

David Nofoaluma grabbed a clever kick from the inspired Benji Marshall, who booted eight points, to level matters but Zac Lomax went over and added his own extras to ensure the Dragons led 12-8 at the break.

NRL to ban mass gatherings

In a statement, the NRL said it will follow the advice from Federal and State governments.

“This means from Round Two, all games will be played within closed stadiums and spectators will not be allowed to attend Telstra Premiership games until further notice,” NRL stated.

Off-contract Asiata feeling the heat

After moving to Townsville as a teenager to launch his NRL career, the utility finds himself without a club in 2021 and hopes a strong start to this year's Telstra Premiership season will help his cause.

"I would be lying if I said I was not fazed at all because it is a tough period," Asiata said.

"I have a wife and two kids and all you want to do is make sure there is security behind your career."

Before Christmas, Asiata met the Gold Coast and toured their facility after Titans coach Justin Holbrook expressed an interest in the 26-year-old.

Seibold dismisses Ponga talk

Knights chief executive Philip Gardner this week stated that the Broncos are a "bigger" threat than New Zealand Rugby as he strives to tie Ponga down to a new deal.

The 21-year-old Queensland State of Origin full-back, who has made no secret of his desire to play for the All Blacks, is contracted until the end of next year, so he will be a free agent to NRL clubs on November 1 if Newcastle cannot agree an extension.

Broncos coach Seibold rates Ponga highly, but says salary-cap restrictions would make a move for the livewire Knights man unlikely.