Anthony Joshua

Fury says he would come out of retirement to fight Joshua for free

Fury said last month he was "over" boxing but has since changed his tune, saying he would take on Joshua provided his terms were met.

"The fight has got to be for free," Fury said in an Instagram post.

"Free to air on television and all tickets go for free. No money is to be made off of this British, historic fight if it happens," he said.

"There's the terms, I'm in the driving seat, take it or effing leave it."

Oleksandr Usyk v Anthony Joshua II: British challenger confident of win in rematch

Joshua came face-to-face with Usyk for the first time since losing his WBA (Super), IBF, and WBO titles in London in September.

At a media conference, Joshua was full of confidence as he aims to become a three-time world champion.

"If you know my story, you know I'm the comeback king," Joshua, 31, said.

"You can put me down, but it's difficult to keep me down."

Oleksandr Usyk v Anthony Joshua rematch likely to occur in August

Ukrainian Usyk beat Joshua on points last year to claim the WBO, IBF and WBA (Super) titles.

A date of 23 July was pencilled in for the rematch but Usyk's promoter Oleksandr Krasyuk said they have been told to prepare for the later date.

Saudi Arabia is expected to host the rematch despite concerns about the country's human rights record.

Joshua, 32, has fought in Saudi Arabia once before when he beat Andy Ruiz Jr in their rematch in 2019.

It is the second time the highly anticipated rematch between Usyk and Joshua has been delayed.

Anthony Joshua's rematch with Oleksandr Usyk now targeted for May

Tyson Fury had offered Joshua a large offer so he could fight WBA (Super), IBF and WBO champion Usyk instead.

But those talks collapsed and speaking to the 5 Live Boxing podcast, Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said: "It's clear AJ will be fighting Usyk, which is his preferred choice."

"May is when you'll see that fight."

Joshua, who lost his title belts to Usyk in September, had planned for the fight to take place in April, but the search for a new trainer and prolonged talks with WBC champion Fury forced a delay.

Anthony Joshua v Oleksandr Usyk rematch could be in UK

Briton Joshua lost his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight belts when Usyk won by unanimous decision in September.

"We have three options: the United Kingdom, Ukraine and the Middle East," Krassyuk told Sky Sports.

"We plan to meet with Eddie Hearn within the next couple of weeks to initiate the rematch activities."

He added: "Hopefully by the end of 2021, we will be in the position to take the final decision."

Anthony Joshua: Briton trains with Mike Tyson's former coach in America

The British heavyweight has faced calls to part ways with long-time coach Rob McCracken since losing his WBA (Super), WBO and IBF titles to Usyk last month.

Joshua has met Virgil Hunter, Eddy Reynoso and Ronnie Shields in the US.

"I guess he didn't feel it was the right [gameplan against Usyk] so he wanted to make a change," said Shields.

Hunter is based in Oakland, California and trained the likes of multiple-weight world champion Andre Ward and Amir Khan.

Anthony Joshua triggers rematch with Oleksandr Usyk after losing belts

Hearn confirmed on Saturday night that Joshua had triggered his rematch clause against the Ukrainian.

Usyk stunned Britain's Joshua last month, winning by unanimous decision to take the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight belts.

"He [Joshua] has got his head back in the game," Hearn said.

"He is training now and today we officially triggered the rematch for the Oleksandr Usyk fight which we will see early next spring.

"We're looking for him to become a three-time heavyweight world champion. I think realistically March is when you're likely to see the rematch."

Usyk upsets Joshua to claim world heavyweight titles

The 34-year-old former undisputed cruiserweight world champion put on a masterclass to silence the majority of the 67,000 fans inside the huge arena on Sunday (NZ time).

Usyk proved too elusive for Joshua throughout an enthralling contest and finished with a flurry in round 12 as he went in search of a knockout.

Joshua stayed up but the decision was a formality as Usyk claimed the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts.

     

Joshua bullish ahead of Usyk fight

The WBA (Super), WBO and IBF champion defends his titles on Saturday against former cruiserweight champion Usyk.

A cordial press conference today gave way to an intense face-off before a handshake between the pair.

Joshua, 31, said: "I'm not an easy fight for anyone, I like fighting."

He added: "If you tell me I was fighting King Kong I would give it a go. This is my job.

"I wasn't on the amateur scene long enough to know much about Oleksandr, but when I turned professional I did a lot of research and I love the Ukrainian style and the Ukrainian people.

Anthony Joshua: Eddie Hearn would be 'shocked' if Tyson Fury fight didn't happen

Fury, 33, was forced to shelve plans to fight Joshua after being ordered by an arbitrator to face Deontay Wilder, leaving fans gutted to see the undisputed showdown fall through.

Joshua defends his WBA (Super), IBF and WBO belts against Oleksandr Usyk next and AJ's promoter says he would be shocked if the Fury fight did not happen.

"I don't want to speak badly about Fury's team, but I don't trust them. Really, we've got to look after ourselves and our own business, which is Oleksandr Usyk. The only thing that matters right now is that fight.