Manslaughter

Man charged with manslaughter over death of Auckland MMA fighter Liufau 'Fau' Vake

One man's charges have been upgraded to manslaughter. Other charges the four men face include assaulting with intent to injure and common assault.

Vake, 25, died on May 23, a week after he was allegedly struck with a coward punch - also known as a king hit or a sucker punch - while waiting for a taxi on Auckland's Symonds Street. It's understood there was no prior provocation.

Vake sustained critical injuries in the alleged assault and died following a week at Auckland Hospital. 

Two found guilty of killing 39 migrants

The migrants suffocated in the sealed container en route from Zeebrugge to Purfleet in October 2019.

Eamonn Harrison, 24, who dropped off the trailer at the Belgian port, and people-smuggler Gheorghe Nica, 43, were convicted by an Old Bailey jury.

Two others were convicted of being part of a wider people-smuggling conspiracy.

The trial examined three smuggling attempts by the gang - two that were successful on 11 and 18 October, and the final trip on 23 October.

Man sentenced for causing death of Tongan teenage drug dealer

Wade Edward Niania was also disqualified from driving for three years and six months after his release from prison.

Niania of Titahi Bay, pleaded guilty to manslaughter, kidnapping, disqualified driving, and having methamphetamine intending to supply it, Stuff reported.

Ula, 19, died in hospital two days after an incident in which Niania tried to rip him off when Ula of Wiri, Auckland tried to sell him methamphetamine which might have been worth $40,000 if bought in bulk.

A disagreement ensued after it became clear Niania only had $300 to buy the bulk.

Driver charged with manslaughter of 39 people

Maurice Robinson, 25, was arrested after the bodies of 31 men and eight women were found in Grays on Wednesday.

He is further charged with people trafficking, immigration and money laundering offences, Essex Police said.

Mr Robinson, of Laurel Drive, Craigavon, Northern Ireland, is due before Chelmsford Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Three others, a man and a woman, both 38, from Warrington, Cheshire, and a 48-year-old man from Northern Ireland remain in police custody.

All three were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and conspiracy to traffic people.

Father not to blame for daughter’s death, Auckland court told

Instead, he says the gun went off in his hands while he looked it over and tried to light a cigarette, killing his daughter Amokura Daniels-Sanft.

Gustav Otto Sanft has denied a charge of the manslaughter of his daughter and is on trial at the High Court in Auckland.

The Crown argues Mr Sanft pointed the loaded shotgun at the child as she misbehaved on a sofa outside their Mangere home in June last year.

RNZ reports Mr Sanft's lawyers say the gun went off accidentally.

Gustav Otto Sanft charged with manslaughter over Mangere toddler's fatal shooting

He is Gustav Otto Sanft, father of the two-year-old victim, Amokoura Daniels-Sanft.

Sanft, 26, was initially charged with unlawful possession of a firearm following the toddler's death, but was subsequently charged with manslaughter.

The little girl was allegedly shot in the head with a sawn-off shotgun at the Favona Rd address she'd been living at with Sanft, her mother and three siblings. Nobody at the address held a firearms licence.

His lawyer argued for name suppression to stay, Fairfax reported, saying the family would be "ridiculed".