Ronaldo

Ronaldo: I'm happy with Portugal

Ronaldo starred for the reigning European champions in the Group B clash in Vilnius, taking his tally to 93 international goals.

The 34-year-old was happy for his team after the huge win lifted second-placed Portugal onto eight points.

"I'm having a good time, but the team was doing very well too," Ronaldo told reporters.

"I am happy and enjoying this moment, not because I scored the goals, but because of the level we have been able to demonstrate in recent years.

"It is up to me to continue helping the national team."

South Korean fans take legal action over Cristiano Ronaldo no-show

Ronaldo had been contracted to play at least 45 minutes against K League All Stars, according to event organisers The Fasta Inc, but ultimately sat out the entire game at a packed Seoul World Cup Stadium.

An online community was formed on South Korea's Naver web portal to protest Ronaldo's lack of participation, and two members reached out to lawyer Kim Min- ki to file a lawsuit against the match organisers.

Football Ferns striker Hannah Wilkinson completes Sporting Lisbon move

The 27-year-old has signed a one-year contract with Portuguese club Sporting Lisbon and said there are pictures of Ronaldo everywhere she turns.

"That was one thing that kind of gives me chills every time I step into the academy because in the meeting room it's just his face and pictures of him playing at the same place you're training in right now and how he developed through the ages at that very place," she said.

Rape investigation into Ronaldo dropped

Ronaldo, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time and plays for the Italian club Juventus, has maintained he is innocent of rape.

The allegation made headlines last year after Las Vegas police said they were investigating it.

The case stems from a June 13, 2009, call from a woman to Las Vegas police. She reported that she had been sexually assaulted and police took her to the hospital for an examination, the Clark County District Attorney's Office said in a statement.

But she declined to identify the person who she said assaulted her.

Cristiano Ronaldo set to face tax fraud charges in Spain

The Portuguese striker is expected to plead guilty after he struck a deal last year with authorities in Spain to settle the case by paying an 18.8 million euro  ($NZ30.4m) fine and accepting a suspended jail sentence.

The 33-year-old Juventus forward is unlikely to serve any time in jail, as the 23-month term prosecutors have requested is within a two-year threshold that can be served on probation for a first offence under Spanish law.

Ronaldo heads Bianconeri to Supercoppa glory

The Portugal forward headed through the limp hands of Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma just after the hour, which was enough to settle a low-key affair.

Juve could have won by a more comfortable scoreline with Douglas Costa and Joao Cancelo having decent chances, while the Bianconeri twice correctly had goals ruled out for offside before Franck Kessie was deservedly sent off for Gennaro Gattuso's side.

Ronaldo not among Portugal recalls

Juventus star Ronaldo has not appeared at international level since the World Cup.

Reports suggested he could return to face Italy and Poland, but Santos has honoured the joint decision not to consider the forward until 2019.

"The only thing I think about Ronaldo is that he should win the Ballon d'Or," Santos replied when asked about Portugal's all-time top scorer.

There are recalls for defenders Jose Fonte and Raphael Guerreiro, along with midfield pair Andre Gomes and Joao Mario.

Ronaldo family upset by allegation

American Kathryn Mayorga has accused Ronaldo of sexually assaulting her in a hotel in Las Vegas in 2009, something the Portuguese has strenuously refuted.

German publication Der Spiegel first reported the claims, which also included the suggestion Ronaldo paid Ms Mayorga $375,000 in 2010 as part of a privacy agreement, preventing her from going public with the allegations. Ms Mayorga filed a lawsuit in an attempt to quash that agreement while Las Vegas police have re-opened an investigation.

Modric, Ronaldo, Salah up for UEFA

The trio were the last three standing following a vote by a jury comprising the coaches of the 80 clubs from last season's Champions League and Europa League, as well as 55 journalists representing UEFA's member associations.

Modric and Ronaldo – who has taken the honour in the last two years – won the Champions League for the third season in a row with Real Madrid last term, with the Portugal star, now at Juventus, finishing as top scorer in the competition for the sixth year running.

Simeone states Messi-Ronaldo stance

A recording of Simeone stating his preference for Ronaldo emerged in the aftermath of Argentina's shock 3-0 loss to Croatia at the World Cup.

But the Atletico Madrid head coach has now affirmed his belief that Barcelona ace Messi is the standout of the pair, on the condition he is surrounded by top talent.

The Argentina captain, Simeone reasons, would struggle to match Ronaldo's output among lesser team-mates.

"If I had to choose between Messi and Ronaldo then most likely I would choose Messi," Simeone told reporters.